Aiju Thevatheril focuses his practice in the defense of medical negligence and catastrophic injury claims. He represents hospitals and healthcare providers in cases involving professional negligence, particularly those with catastrophic damage. He has tried numerous high-exposure cases to verdict, including many involving birth trauma, neonatal and pediatric injury, death and neurological injury. He is a panel counsel for many healthcare institutions and insurance companies for defense of catastrophic injury litigation claims. In addition to various healthcare institutions, Aiju represents individual practitioners, such as doctors (both allopathic and osteopathic), surgeons, nurses, dentists and physician assistants. He has represented both the individual healthcare provider and the healthcare institution. He is frequently asked by healthcare institutions, primary, excess and reinsurance clients to handle trials or to monitor cases in difficult jurisdictions where the exposure exceeds over $10 million or higher.
Aiju is involved in all aspects of the defense and resolution of complex and high-stakes medical malpractice claims, from discovery through trial and appeal. He has significant jury trial experience in complex cases involving various medical specialties including family medicine, pediatrics, internal medicine, obstetrics and gynecology, general surgery, orthopedic surgery, neurosurgery, radiology, pathology, gastroenterology, oral surgery and dentistry, hematology, psychiatry, anesthesiology, neonatology, emergency medicine, infectious disease and physical medicine and rehabilitation. Aiju’s expertise in defending matters and his understanding of the clinical and technical aspects of defending medical negligence claims has uniquely qualified him to guide clients resolve disputes expeditiously, whether that involves rapid investigation and early resolution, vigorous defense of a case through trial, or an alternative dispute resolution modality.
Aiju has been an invited guest speaker teaching physicians, residents and nurses at several academic medical centers. In February 2008, Chicago Lawyer magazine featured him on their cover as a “Top Ten Trial Lawyers on the Rise.”
Aiju resides in Naperville, Illinois with his wife Irene Thomas Thevatheril, M.D. and three children, Naomi, David and Daniel.
Memberships & Affiliations
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- Illinois Association of Health Care Attorneys
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- Chicago Healthcare Risk Management Society
- Named to Crain's Chicago Business Notable Gen X Leaders In Law, 2019
- Selected for inclusion in Illinois Super Lawyers in 2019
- Trial Lawyer Excellence Award for “Outstanding Defense Verdict in a Medical Malpractice Case,” Law Bulletin Media’s Annual Awards for Trial Lawyer Excellence, 2016
- “Liability and Loss Prevention," American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine, 24th Annual Meeting, Seattle, Washington, June 4-6, 2015
- “Issues in Medical Negligence,” LaGrange Hospital Family Medicine Residency Program, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
- “Managing Risk Through Ethical Practice,” Illinois State Medical Insurance Services, Inc., October 2011
- “Medical Malpractice Litigation,” Saint Francis Hospital of Evanston, Obstetrics & Gynecology, Internal Medicine, General Surgery and Radiology Residency, January 2010
- “Medical Malpractice Litigation,” Saint Mary and Elizabeth Medical Center, Family Medicine Residency, January 2010
- “Medical Malpractice Litigation,” Westlake Medical Center, Internal Medicine Residency, November 2009
- “Medical Malpractice Litigation,” Resurrection Medical Center, Resident and Attending Physicians, November 2009
- “Medical Malpractice Litigation,” St. Joseph Medical Center, Resident and Attending Physicians, September 2009
- “Medical Malpractice Litigation,” West Suburban Medical Center, Resident and Attending Physicians, August 2009
- “Deposition Preparation and Technique,” Our Lady of the Resurrection Medical Center, Attending Physicians, 2005
- "Medical Malpractice—A Defense Lawyer's Perspective," Rush-Copley Hospital Family Medicine Grand Rounds, 2003
Chicago, Lisle, Libertyville, Madison County, February 3, 2020
Swanson, Martin & Bell, LLP Attorneys Named Leading Lawyers, Emerging Lawyers for 2020
Those designated Leading Lawyers were recommended by their peers to be among the top lawyers in Illinois.
Chicago, January 30, 2020
Illinois Super Lawyers Recognizes 25 Swanson, Martin & Bell, LLP Attorneys
Swanson, Martin & Bell, LLP announces that 12 attorneys were named to the 2020 Illinois Super Lawyers list and another 13 were named to the 2020 Illinois Rising Stars list.
Chicago, May 31, 2019
Crain's Chicago Business Names Five Attorneys to Notable Gen X Leaders in Law list
John P. Arranz, Patricia S. Kocour, A. Jay Koehler, Aiju C. Thevatheril and Catherine Basque Weiler were among 121 lawyers in Chicago listed.
Chicago, Libertyville, St. Louis, January 28, 2019
Illinois Super Lawyers Recognizes 29 Swanson, Martin & Bell, LLP Attorneys
Swanson, Martin & Bell, LLP is proud to have 14 Super Lawyers and 15 Rising Stars in 2019.
Chicago, January 16, 2019
Swanson, Martin & Bell, LLP Attorneys Named Leading Lawyers, Emerging Lawyers for 2019
Those designated Leading Lawyers were recommend by their peers to be among the top lawyers in Illinois.
Chicago, September 7, 2018
Law360 Profiles Swanson, Martin & Bell, LLP for 2018 Illinois Regional Powerhouse Series
According to the article, "Swanson's attorneys have flexed their muscles in several Illinois courtrooms this year, helping to fend off more than $100 million in claimed damages in several suits rooted in the firm's more institutional areas of practice."
Chicago, June 19, 2018
Swanson, Martin & Bell, LLP Obtains Five Defense Verdicts in 25 Days
In a span of 25 days from late April to late May 2018, Swanson, Martin & Bell, LLP attorneys obtained five defense verdicts at trial on behalf of clients in five Medical Negligence and Healthcare cases in the Circuit Court of Cook County, Illinois.
Chicago, January 17, 2017
Thevatheril Speaks at National Forum on Neurotrauma, Brain & Spine Medical Legal Issues
Thevatheril will discuss "Relationship Between Neurosurgeons and Neurologists: Reviewing Radiology Reports and Failing to Properly Diagnose."
Chicago, October 27, 2016
SMB Recognized for “Outstanding Defense Verdict in a Medical Malpractice Case”
Aiju C. Thevatheril, Elizabeth A. Bruer and Jessica A. Levitt received a Trial Lawyer Excellence Award at this month’s Jury Verdict Reporter Awards.
Chicago, August 15, 2016
Thevatheril, Anderson Earn Dismissal in Medical Negligence Case
Their healthcare system client was voluntary dismissed prior to trial.
Chicago, April 18, 2016
Swanson, Martin & Bell, LLP Receives Not Guilty Verdict in Medical Malpractice Defense Case
The plaintiff's attorney asked the jury for $77 - $85 million before the not guilty verdict.
Chicago, January 5, 2016
Thevatheril Moderates Judges' Panel at ACI Medical Malpractice Catastrophic Injury Seminar
Seven state and federal judges will share insights on how they view evidence and arguments specifically in the medical malpractice context.
Chicago, June 1, 2015
Thevatheril Speaks at American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine Meeting
Thevatheril's presentation is on Liability and Loss Prevention. The session will discuss risk management, claims and litigation overview on medical and dental malpractice.
Chicago, November 25, 2014
'12 Day Defensive Hot Streak' Highlighted in Law Bulletin Article
The article highlighted four defense verdicts Swanson, Martin & Bell, LLP attorneys received on behalf of clients.
Chicago, November 19, 2014
Swanson, Martin & Bell, LLP Obtains Four Not Guilty Verdicts in 11 Days
In a span of 11 days, Swanson, Martin & Bell, LLP attorneys obtained four not guilty verdicts at trial on behalf of clients.
Chicago, October 27, 2014
Swanson, Martin & Bell, LLP Obtains Not Guilty Verdict for Client Centegra Hospital - McHenry
The plaintiff asked for more than $7,000,000.
Chicago, January 14, 2013
Swanson, Martin & Bell, LLP Names New Partners, Welcomes New Associate
Aiju C. Thevatheril was elected to equity partnership ranks, while Leanne W. Moore was named a non-equity partner.
Chicago, Lisle, Libertyville, January 19, 2011
Thirty Swanson, Martin & Bell Attorneys Selected for 2011 Illinois Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
Swanson, Martin & Bell, LLP is pleased to announce that 21 of its attorneys have been selected for inclusion in the 2011 Illinois Super Lawyers list.