BiographyNicole is an associate at the firm’s Chicago office. She is a member of the firm’s Entertainment and Media, Intellectual Property Litigation and Transactional Services, Commercial Litigation and Product Liability practice groups.
She focuses her practice on commercial litigation and business disputes, as well as entertainment, media and sports law, and intellectual property and transactional services. Nicole has represented national and international organizations in state and federal court in a broad range of complex commercial litigation, contractual and business tort disputes. Nicole also provides transactional services to both commercial and entertainment clients, including corporate formation and contract drafting, such as drafting articles of incorporation, operating agreements, talent agreements, production and performance agreements, music publishing and licensing agreements and artist management agreements.
Nicole’s practice also includes product liability and general tort litigation defense work in state and federal courts. She has experience in trial and mediation preparation, including managing all stages of written discovery, drafting pleadings, arguing motions, taking depositions and assisting in trial.
Nicole donates a significant amount of time to pro bono legal services as well through her work with Lawyers for the Creative Arts representing local artists in corporate formation and contract drafting, as well as for local Chicago not-for-profit organizations, assisting in general 501(c)(3) formation and other matters.
Commercial Litigation and Business Disputes
Entertainment and Media Law
General Trial Practice
Intellectual Property Litigation and Transactional Services
Fire and Explosion Litigation
Memberships & Affiliations
- Saint Mary’s College Alumnae Association
- Chicago East Alumnae Club Vice President
- 2015 Class News Representative
- Chicago Bar Association
- Co-Chair, Creative Arts Committee, Young Lawyers Section, 2019-2021
- Edward J. Lewis II Lawyers in the Classroom Program, Attorney Volunteer
- Women’s Bar Association of Illinois
- DePaul University College of Law Alumni Association
- “Preparing to Practice” Mentor
- Lawyers for the Creative Arts
- Women in Music, Chicago Chapter
- Defense Research Institute
- Young Lawyers Committee
- DuPage Association of Women Lawyers Judge Helen C. Kinney 2018 Scholarship Recipient
- Recipient, 2020 Outstanding Young Alumna Award, Saint Mary's College, Notre Dame, Indiana.
- The Millennial Lawyer’s Duty to Maintain (and Promote) Technological Competence, Raising the Bar, DRI Young Lawyers Committee, Volume 16, Issue 2
- Consumers in Shock: How Federal Government Overregulation Led Mylan to Acquire a Monopoly over Epinephrine Autoinjectors,16 DEPAUL BUS. & COM. L.J. (2018).
- Text Message Plaintiff Not Bound to Arbitrate, AMERICAN BAR ASSOCIATION, (2018).
Chicago, March 11, 2021
O'Toole Shares Benefits of College Alumnae Network on Webinar
O'Toole, a 2015 SMC graduate, will share how the college's alumnae network has impacted her career and offer networking advice to current students.
Chicago, June 30, 2020
Saint Mary's College Names O'Toole Outstanding Young Alumna Award Recipient
O'Toole, a 2015 graduate of Saint Mary's College, was recognized with other 2020 Alumnae Association Award recipients at the 2020 Virtual Reunion earlier this month.
Chicago, March 06, 2020
O'Toole Authors Article on Millennial Lawyers and Technological Competence in DRI Young Lawyers Newsletter
The article appears in the latest issue of "Raising the Bar," newsletter of DRI's Young Lawyers Committee.
Chicago, November 20, 2019
Torman, O'Toole Serve as Oral Argument Judges for CBA Moot Court Competition
The CBA's annual Moot Court Competition gives law schools students from around the country the opportunity to hone their research, writing, and oral advocacy skills along with approximately 30 other teams.
Chicago, July 17, 2019
Swanson, Martin & Bell, LLP Attorneys Obtain Defense Verdict in High-Stakes Product Liability Case
The plaintiff asked the jury for between $38 million and $48 million in compensatory damages, and as much as $200 million in punitive damages for a total of over $248 million.
Chicago, December 12, 2018
New Lawyers Join Swanson, Martin & Bell, LLP
Swanson, Martin & Bell, LLP welcomes three recent law school graduates to the firm's Chicago office as associates.