BiographyTravis Life is a member of Swanson Martin & Bell, LLLP’s Entertainment and Media, Intellectual Property and Commercial Litigation Practice Groups. His clients include musicians, songwriters, actors, designers, authors, and media companies in the film and music fields. Travis represents artists and art-related businesses in drafting and negotiating entertainment agreements, managing intellectual property, and in litigating complex matters. Travis has handled the formation of a variety of multimedia entities, including music marketing companies, music management businesses, and production companies.
Travis manages intellectual property for music artists, media companies, and record labels. He has successfully prosecuted and defended high profile complex civil matters including copyright infringement, trademark infringement, breach of contract, right of publicity, and First Amendment claims for prominent artist and media companies.
Travis is an adjunct professor at DePaul University College of Law, where he teaches Entertainment Law. Travis is also a frequent speaker at various colleges, law schools, and entertainment industry conferences on a variety of issues including music agreements, litigation, and drone regulations for the film and television industry.
Memberships & Affiliations
- Independent Film Producers of Chicago (IFP Chicago), Board Member
- Lawyers for the Creative Arts, Associate Board, Founding Member, Former President
- Recording Academy, Associate Member
- Chicago Bar Association
- Former Chair, Entertainment and Media Committee
- Former Chair, Creative Arts Committee
- American Bar Association
- Forum on the Entertainment and Sports Industries, Elected Governing Committee Member, Former Membership Chair, Former Young Lawyer Liaison
- Selected for inclusion in Super Lawyers, Rising Stars Edition, 2014
- Selected for inclusion in Leading Lawyers, Art, Entertainment, and Sports, 2015-2018
- Reel Legal: Politicians and Rock-n-Roll, ReelChicago.com, September 18, 2017
- Reel Legal: Hey! Is That My Graffiti In Your Film?, ReelChicago.com, June 6, 2017
- “Entertainment Law Initiative,” John Marshall Law School, Chicago, Illinois, 2018
- “Entertainment Law,” DePaul University College of Law, Chicago, Illinois, 2018
- “Music Industry Idiosyncrasies – What You Don’t Know Can Hurt Your Client,” CIMMfest, Chicago, Illinois, 2017
- “Corporation Formations for Filmmakers,” Stage 18, Chicago, Illinois, 2017
- “Copyrights, Fair Use, and Media Clearance,” Street Level Youth Media, Chicago, Illinois, 2017
- “Entertainment and Music Law,” Chicago-Kent College of Law, Chicago, Illinois, 2017
- “Drone and Filmmaking,” Chicago Bar Association, Entertainment and Media Committee, Chicago, Illinois, 2016
- “Music Law Bootcamp – Music Agreements,” Lawyers for the Creative Arts, Chicago, Illinois, 2016
- “Sky Is the Limit? Drones and Film Productions,” Lake FX, Chicago, Illinois, 2016
- “Licensing Legal Issues and Social Media,” Licensing Executive Society, Chicago, Illinois, 2015
- “Entertainment Law Bootcamp – Litigation Update,” IICLE, Chicago, Illinois, 2015
- “Intellectual Property for the Non-IP Attorney – Copyrights Seminar,” Chicago Bar Association, Intellectual Property Committee, Chicago, Illinois, 2015
- “Revenue Streams for Music,” Lake FX, Chicago, Illinois, 2015
- “Entertainment Law Bootcamp – Entertainment Agreements,” Lawyers for the Creative Arts, Chicago, Illinois, 2014
- “Legal-ease 101”, Band:Smart Weekend 2013, Chicago, Illinois, 2013
- “Lawyer Up! Practical Legal Tips for Creative Businesses,” Moxie Conference, Chicago, Illinois, 2013
- “Clauses You Should Know In Your Artist Contract,” Creative Chicago Expo, Chicago, Illinois, 2013
- “Gallery Night, See Art Talk,” Chicago-Kent College of Law, Chicago, Illinois, 2012
- “Pitch Cases,” Chicago Bar Association, Entertainment and Media Committee, Chicago, Illinois, 2012
- “Connect 4 the Arts,” Art and Business Council of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, 2011
- “Chicago Music Industry Professionals Panel,” Local Revolution Music Fest, Chicago, Illinois, 2009
- “Young Lawyers Panel,” American Bar Association, Forum on the Entertainment and Sports Industries, Los Angeles, California, 2008
- “Young Lawyer/ Law Student Orientation: Your Questions Answered,” American Bar Association, Forum on the Entertainment and Sports Industries, New York, New York, 2007
Chicago, March 18, 2019
Law360 Profiles New Lateral Partner Travis Life
According to the article, "after talking with some Swanson Martin partners with whom he had developed working relationships, 'it really made sense to bring my practice over to Swanson Martin & Bell and join their practice group,' Life said."
Chicago, March 7, 2019
Swanson, Martin & Bell, LLP Welcomes Lateral Partner to Entertainment and Media Law Practice Group
"The addition of Travis demonstrates the very exciting growth our entertainment practice has experienced over the past several years," says Jeffrey S. Becker, Entertainment and Media Law Practice Group Chair. Our clients will be well served by the depth of experience Travis will bring to the firm."
Chicago, February 19, 2019
Life Speaks at Stage 18 on Rights, Contracts and Agreements
A film and media incubator on the lot of Cinespace Chicago Studios, Stage 18 provides services, spaces, and events to educate, unite, and develop the local filmmaking and media community.