BiographyThomas is an associate at the firm’s Chicago office. His practice includes Entertainment Law, Wills & Trusts, and other mass tort litigation. He includes artists, managers, producers, record labels, and models among his clients and counsels them on a variety of issues in the entertainment industry, including management agreements, producer agreements, recording agreements, contract negotiation, trademark work, and business formation.
Currently, Thomas is an associate member of the Lawyers For The Creative Arts, where he sits on their associate board as the Vice President and Social Media Chair. Through the LCA, Thomas volunteers his time providing pro bono legal services to clients in the Chicago arts and entertainment world.
Prior to law school, Thomas interned at a mid-size independent record label and worked extensively as a freelance music journalist. His writing has been published in the Chicago Reader, Noisey, Consequence of Sound, The Outline, A.V. Club, Vinyl Me Please, and others. He has also contributed to the Illinois State Bar Association Intellectual Property Section Newsletter and the American Bar Association Entertainment and Sports Lawyer Journal.
Entertainment and Media Law
Toxic Tort Litigation
Wills, Trusts and Estates
Memberships & Affiliations
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Lawyers for the Creative Arts
- Associate Board Vice President, 2023
- Social Media Chair, 2023
- "American beer giants Anheuser-Busch and MillerCoors clash over Super Bowl advertisements and corn syrup usage," Illinois State Bar Association Intellectual Property Section Newsletter, Vol 58, No. 4, June 2019
- "America Loves K-Pop. What About K-Rock?," The Outline, Oct. 16, 2018
- "Jam Productions Slams the Door On Contract Negotiations with Unionized Riviera Theatre Stagehands," Chicago Reader, Oct. 21, 2016
- "Never Meant: The Complete Oral History of American Football," Noisey, Feb. 2, 2016
- "So you’ve been defamed online by an anonymous user…" Chicago Bar Association - Media and Entertainment Law Committee, April 2023
May 30, 2023
Swanson, Martin & Bell, LLP Sponsors Lawyers for the Creative Arts' Shindy 2023 Fundraiser
Swanson, Martin & Bell, LLP is proud to co-sponsor Lawyers for the Creative Arts (LCA)'s fundraiser, "Shindy 2023," on June 8 in Chicago, Illinois.
May 04, 2023
Alasauskas, Kliebhan & McLoughlin Elected to the Lawyers for the Creative Arts Associate Board Executive Committee
Associates Amanda J. Alasauskas, Thomas J. Kliebhan and Mark J. McLoughlin were elected to the 2023-25 Lawyers for the Creative Arts' (LCA) Associate Board Executive Committee.
April 19, 2023
Kliebhan to Speak at The Chicago Bar Association's Media and Entertainment Law Committee Meeting
Associate Thomas J. Kliebhan will speak at The Chicago Bar Association’s Media and Entertainment Law Committee Meeting on April 26.
December 09, 2022
Swanson, Martin & Bell, LLP at the Lawyers for the Creative Arts 50th Anniversary Gala
On December 8, Partner Michelle Wahl and Associates Amanda Alasauskas and Thomas Kliebhan attended the Lawyers for the Creative Arts 50th Anniversary Gala at the Chicago Cultural Center. Guests enjoyed an evening filled with performances from outstanding artists from a broad range of ensembles, genres, and styles.
Chicago, January 2, 2020
Recent Law School Graduates Join Swanson, Martin & Bell, LLP
Swanson, Martin & Bell, LLP announces that five recent law school graduates have joined the firm's Chicago office as associates.