Robert R. McNamara focuses his practice in product liability, toxic tort and utility litigation. He has tried cases in the Northern and Southern Districts of Illinois and Cook and the surrounding counties in the Chicago area. He has appeared before the Illinois Supreme Court and argued several cases in the First District Appellate Court. He has been admitted into the Federal Trial Bar for the Northern District of Illinois. Bob began his legal career as a Cook County Assistant State’s Attorney, and worked his way up to prosecuting felony criminal cases and criminal citations for environmental violations.
Honored with an AV rating from Martindale-Hubbell, Bob has written on topics including “Emerging Trends in Lead Litigation” and “How to Defend your Product in the face of Cutting Edge Safety Technology.” He frequently speaks at continuing legal education seminars sponsored by the Illinois State Bar Association, IICLE and IEEE on post-trial motions, motions in limine and diffuse electrical injury claims, and other topics.
Bob is a graduate of the International Association of the Defense Counsel Trial Academy and a member of the Chicago Bar Association and the Illinois State Bar Association.
Memberships & Affiliations
- Chicago Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute, Vice Chair
- Catholic Charities Legal Advisory Board
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Rated
- Selected for inclusion in Super Lawyers in 2007 in the area of Class Action Litigation
- John W. Bell and Robert R. McNamara, "And The Defense Wins," DRI, February 29, 2012
- "Emerging Trends In Lead Litigation," Illinois Bar Journal
- Featured Speaker, “Preserving Issues For Appeal and Post-Trial Motions,” ISBA Civil Practice Update, 2006-2013
- Featured Speaker, “Taking Your First Doctor’s Deposition,” IICLE, Chicago, Illinois, 2009
- Featured Speaker, “Electrical Contact Claims” Casualty Adjusters Association of Chicago, 2006
- Featured Speaker, “Diffuse Electrical Injuries,” IEEE, Palm Springs, California, 2005
- Featured Speaker, Mealey's National Lead Litigation Conference, Amelia Island, Florida, 2003
Chicago, January 16, 2019
Swanson, Martin & Bell, LLP Attorneys Named Leading Lawyers, Emerging Lawyers for 2019
Those designated Leading Lawyers were recommend by their peers to be among the top lawyers in Illinois.
Chicago, Indiana, October 30, 2017
Chicago Daily Law Bulletin Highlights New Indiana Office, 25th Anniversary
The article quotes partners Brian W. Bell and Timothy G. Nickels, and speaks of the firm's long history in Indiana.
Chicago, February 18, 2016
McNamara Presents on Motions in Limine at ISBA Seminar
He offered strategies for drafting, presenting, and arguing motions in limine from the defense perspective.
Chicago, May 8, 2015
McNamara Discusses Post-Trial Motions Appellate Issues at ISBA Seminar
McNamara offered insight on things that appellate counsel wishes trial counsel would do.
Chicago, September 5, 2014
McNamara Addresses Motion in Limine at ISBA Seminar
The seminar focuses on "Foundations, Evidence and Objections: Before Trial, During Trial, On Appeal, or After a Settlement.”
Chicago, April 16, 2014
McNamara Speaks at ISBA Civil Practice Seminars
McNamara will address post-trial motions appellate issues. Robert R. McNamara focuses his practice in product liability, toxic tort and utility litigation
Chicago, July 17, 2013
Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, Law360 Highlight New Swanson, Martin & Bell, LLP Attorneys
The Law Bulletin article quotes new Partners David A. Kanter and Robert R. McNamara, as well as Managing Partner Timothy G. Nickels.
Chicago, July 9, 2013
Seven Lateral Attorneys Join Swanson, Martin & Bell, LLP
Four partners and three associates have recently joined the firm's Chicago office.