BiographyMike Martinez is a litigator and trial attorney whose practice is concentrated in the defense of product liability, premises liability and occupational injury disease claims, with an emphasis on asbestos litigation. He participates in all phases of asbestos trial practice, including regularly conducting lead examination of plaintiffs, coworkers and expert witnesses; devising legal strategy and pursuing innovative legal defenses in underdeveloped areas of law; conducting oral arguments on high-stakes dispositive motions and motions in limine; and having served on a three-person trial team that procured a defense verdict for an industrial insulation contractor in a McLean County, Illinois lung cancer jury trial.
Mike also has extensive appellate experience, having served as lead appellate counsel for asbestos defendants in the Indiana Supreme Court and Illinois’ Fourth District Court of Appeals, and recently prevailing before the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals in his defense of a national telemarketing firm accused of violating the Telephone Consumer Protection Act. He has been recognized as a “Rising Star” by Illinois Super Lawyers magazine for 2017-2020 and was a featured speaker at the 2017 and 2019 Annual Conference of the National Forum for Environmental & Toxic Tort Issues (FETTI).
Prior to joining Swanson, Martin & Bell, LLP, Mike developed a strong foundation for his practice having served as a junior partner at a boutique toxic tort defense firm and as an associate in both a complex federal employment discrimination practice and a high-volume insurance defense practice concentrating in construction site fatalities and high-exposure premises and product liability claims.
Memberships & Affiliations
- Chicago Bar Association
- Hispanic Lawyers Association of Illinois
- Mentor, JD Mentors Program
- Named a “Rising Star” by Illinois Super Lawyers Magazine in Class Actions & Mass Torts, 2017- 2020
- Illinois Asbestos Litigation Likely to Feel the Effects of Indiana’s Expansion of Premises Liability in Asbestos Cases, FETTI Spring 2017 Case Law Update Newsletter
- Where There’s a “Will,” There Should Be a Way: Why In re Salvino Unjustifiably Restricts the Application of Sec. 523(a)(6) to Exclude Willful & Malicious Breaches of Contract, 29 N. Ill. U. L. Rev. 441 (2009).
- Relatively Exclusive: A National Overview of Employer Liability for Toxic Torts, The National Forum for Environmental and Toxic Tort Issues (FETTI), 26th Annual Conference, Union League Club, Chicago, Illinois, September 26, 2019.
- Recent Developments and Emerging Trends in Asbestos Premises Liability, The National Forum for Environmental and Toxic Tort Issues (FETTI), 24th Annual Conference, Union League Club, Chicago, Illinois, October 5, 2017.
Chicago, February 2, 2021
Illinois Super Lawyers Recognizes 25 Swanson, Martin & Bell, LLP Attorneys
Swanson, Martin & Bell, LLP announces that 12 attorneys have been named n to the 2021 Illinois Super Lawyers list and 13 have been named to the Illinois Rising Stars list.
Chicago, July 16, 2020
Three Associates Join Swanson, Martin & Bell, LLP
Swanson, Martin & Bell, LLP announces that three attorneys have joined the firm's Chicago office as associates.