As Vice Chair of the Intellectual Property group, Jonna manages her clients' global trademark and copyright portfolios and works with clients to develop filing and enforcement strategies worldwide. In addition, she represents clients' interests in adversarial proceedings in U.S. courts and before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
Jonna brings over 18 years of litigation experience to bear when advising and advocating for clients in the areas of trademark infringement, patent infringement, copyright infringement, unfair competition, contractual disputes, and the Telephone Consumer Protection Act. Jonna also advises clients during the trademark and copyright registration process and counsels clients in licensing matters, brand promotion and protection, and advertising campaigns. Jonna's clients range from individuals to large corporations in diverse fields such as consumer products, convenience store products and services, firearms, airguns and ammunition, sorbent products, and forklifts.
Prior to joining Swanson, Martin & Bell, LLP, Jonna practiced in Indianapolis, Indiana. Jonna previously assisted the Chicago chapter of the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation and dedicates significant time to pro bono service. She served as a pro bono attorney for the National Immigrant Justice Center on asylum cases and as a volunteer attorney on immigration matters for the North Suburban Legal Aid Clinic located in Highland Park, Illinois. In late 2019, Jonna volunteered at the southern border in El Paso, Texas for Las Americas Immigrant Advocacy Center's Detained Deportation Defense program.
Memberships & Affiliations
- Media Law Resource Center, Defense Counsel Member
- Federal Trial Bar for the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- Chicago Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Indiana State Bar Association
- American Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division
- ChIPs Women in Technology, Law and Policy - Member Community, Chicago Chapter
- Indianapolis Bar Association Bar Leader Series IV, selected for 2006-2007 class
- Co-Author, "MLRC Prepublication/Prebroadcast Committee Report on: The Effective use of the Fair Report Privilege," Media Law Resource Center, September 2004
- Co-Author, "LDRC Prepublication Prebroadcast Committee Reports on: Note Retention Policies of Reporters," Libel Defense Resource Center, September 2002
- Co-Author, "LDRC Prepublication/Prebroadcast Committee Reports on: 'Advice of Counsel' as a Defense by Reporters," Libel Defense Resource Center, September 2002
Chicago, January 18, 2021
Three Swanson, Martin & Bell, LLP Attorneys Named Partner
Jessica Levitt Acuna, Jack A. Gould and Jonna McGinley Reilly have all been named partner.
Chicago, November 26, 2019
Reilly Volunteers at Immigration Processing Center on U.S. Border
With the help of translators, Reilly interviewed numerous detainees, assessing their claims for asylum or alternative immigration relief in hopes of collecting enough facts to enable Las Americas to take on their case pro bono.
Chicago, July 15, 2016
Fardy, Reilly Represent Convenience Store Chain in IP Dispute
The chain has asked U.S. District Court to allow it to continue referring to its four-sided doughnuts as "square donuts."
Chicago, January 8, 2014
Fardy Wins IP Bench Trial on Patent Ownership and Fraud Issues
The client won a declaratory judgment on patent ownership issues as well as counterclaims of fraudulent concealment and fraud misrepresentation.
Chicago, July 19, 2012
Swanson, Martin & Bell, LLP Wins Summary Judgment in IP Case
The firm won summary judgment immediately prior to trial in the United States District Court for the District of Colorado.