Jonna Reilly serves as Vice Chair of the Intellectual Property group and represents clients across the country in intellectual property and commercial litigation matters.
Jonna brings her 15 years of litigation experience to bear when advising and advocating for clients in the areas of licensing, contractual disputes, trademark infringement, patent infringement, copyright infringement, and unfair competition. Jonna has successfully prosecuted and defended trademark injunctions, right of publicity and privacy issues, complex breach of contract, and commercial fraud actions. Prior to focusing on IP matters, Jonna also represented individuals to Fortune 500 companies in a broad array of areas, including reinsurance, pharmaceutical defense, aviation litigation, product liability defense, and catastrophic loss litigation.
Jonna is responsible for the domestic and international trademark portfolios of a number of major companies in such diverse fields as convenience store products and services, firearms, airguns and ammunition, sorbent products, and forklifts. Jonna provides transactional services for the firm’s clients, including performing initial availability searches and advisory opinions and preparing and filing trademark applications with the United States Patent and Trademark Office. Jonna brings her extensive litigation experience to bear when protecting her clients’ continued rights in their trademark portfolios and advising clients during the registration process.
Prior to joining Swanson, Martin & Bell, LLP, Jonna practiced in Indianapolis, Indiana. Outside of the office, Jonna actively assisted both the Chicago chapter of the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation and the Illinois March of Dimes over the past many years. She served as a pro bono attorney for the National Immigrant Justice Center, helping to obtain asylum for two African refugees in two separate matters.
Currently Jonna serves as a volunteer attorney for the North Suburban Legal Aid Clinic located in Highland Park, Illinois. The mission of the North Suburban Legal Aid Clinic is to provide accessible, quality pro bono legal services in the areas of immigration, domestic violence, and housing to give those in need of access to justice the opportunity to live productive and secure lives.
Intellectual Property Litigation and Transactional Services
Commercial Litigation and Business Disputes
Pharmaceutical and Medical Device
Entertainment and Media Law
Medical Negligence and Healthcare
Memberships & Affiliations
- Media Law Resource Center, Defense Counsel Member
- Federal Trial Bar for the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- Chicago Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Indiana State Bar Association
- American Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division
- Indianapolis Bar Association Bar Leader Series IV, selected for 2006-2007 class
- Co-Author, "MLRC Prepublication/Prebroadcast Committee Report on: The Effective use of the Fair Report Privilege," Media Law Resource Center, September 2004
- Co-Author, "LDRC Prepublication Prebroadcast Commitee Reports on: Note Retention Policies of Reporters," Libel Defense Resource Center, September 2002
- Co-Author, "LDRC Prepublication/Prebroadcast Committee Reports on: 'Advice of Counsel' as a Defense by Reporters," Libel Defense Resource Center, September 2002
Chicago, July 15, 2016
Fardy, Reilly Represent Convenience Store Chain in IP Dispute
The chain has asked U.S. District Court to allow it to continue referring to its four-sided doughnuts as “square donuts."
Chicago, January 8, 2014
Fardy Wins IP Bench Trial on Patent Ownership and Fraud Issues
The client won a declaratory judgment on patent ownership issues as well as counterclaims of fraudulent concealment and fraud misrepresentation.
Chicago, July 19, 2012
Swanson, Martin & Bell, LLP Wins Summary Judgment in IP Case
The firm won summary judgment immediately prior to trial in the United States District Court for the District of Colorado.