A. Jay Koehler is a senior partner at Swanson, Martin & Bell, LLP. Jay represents regional, national and international organizations in various types of construction litigation, product liability, commercial, transportation and fire and explosion litigation throughout the United States. Jay serves as chair of Swanson, Martin & Bell, LLP’s Construction Practice Group.
Jay represents numerous national residential homebuilders in a variety of litigation including construction defect claims, insurance coverage disputes, workplace injury claims, warranty disputes and contract disputes. Jay also represents various national and international corporations in personal injury and property damage claims including matters involving product defect clams, defective specifications and work, sick building cases/indoor air quality/building material claims, worker injury claims, fire and explosion claims, insurance and surety disputes. Jay provides exceptional legal representation for his clients by employing efficient, cost-effective strategies resulting in favorable business resolutions.
- Defended a local commuter railroad in multiple personal injury cases arising out of largest commuter train derailment in Chicago history
- Successfully defended a pharmaceutical equipment manufacturer in a multi-million dollar commercial fire case
- Successfully defeated a class action suit filed against a national residential homebuilder for defective windows in 540 homes; summary judgment affirmed on appeal
- Successfully secured insurance coverage for a multi-million dollar construction defect claim; summary judgment affirmed on appeal
- Successfully defended local commuter railroad in pedestrian train accident pending in Cook County, Illinois
- Successfully appealed a multi-million dollar verdict for local commuter railroad; overturned on appeal and judgment entered in favor of commuter railroad; Appellate Court decision affirmed by the Illinois Supreme Court
- Successfully defended a product manufacturer in a product liability suit involving a degloving injury to a delivery service worker
- Currently defending multiple consumer product manufacturers in mass tort benzene litigation
- Successfully defended residential siding manufacturer in largest residential home defect claim in Illinois
Memberships & Affiliations
- Defense Research Institute
- National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel
Chicago, January 16, 2019
Swanson, Martin & Bell, LLP Attorneys Named Leading Lawyers, Emerging Lawyers for 2019
Those designated Leading Lawyers were recommend by their peers to be among the top lawyers in Illinois.
Chicago, March 20, 2017
Law Bulletin Article Highlights Insurance Coverage Case