A. Jay Koehler is a senior partner at Swanson, Martin & Bell, and LLP and is on the firm’s Executive Committee. Jay represents regional, national and international organizations in various types of construction litigation, product liability, commercial, transportation and fire and explosion litigation throughout the United States. Jay serves as chair of Swanson, Martin & Bell, and LLP’s Construction Practice Group.
Jay represents construction clients in binding arbitrations, mediations and litigation that involves contract disputes, delay claims, design defect claims and various construction related disputes. Jay also represents numerous national residential homebuilders in a variety of litigation including construction defect claims, contract disputes, delay claims, insurance coverage disputes, workplace injury claims, warranty disputes and subcontractor disputes. Jay’s practice includes representing various national and international corporations in personal injury and property damage claims including matters involving product defect clams, defective specifications and work, sick building cases /indoor air quality/building material claims, worker injury claims, fire and explosion claims, insurance and surety disputes. Jay provides exceptional legal representation for his clients by employing efficient, cost-effective strategies resulting in favorable business resolutions.
- Successfully secured a $1.5 million binding arbitration award and defeated a $3.9 million claim on behalf of large exterior metal panel subcontractor against a prominent Chicago general contractor. This was following a seven-day arbitration hearing that included testimony from multiple experts.
- Successfully secured a multi-million million settlement on behalf of general contractor for an automobile manufacturing plant in Jamestown, Indiana where improper fill was used by a subcontractor and supplied by a local steel company resulting in significant property and business interruption damage claims exceeding $140 million. This included claims against subcontractors and their respective carriers.
- Successfully defended a product manufacturer in a lawsuit for alleged defective air handler design and installation in a building that supplies power across 15 U.S. states and Canada. The claim totaled $10,533,705.72.
- Successfully defended an EIFS manufacturer in largest residential home construction defect lawsuit in the United States brought by Chicago’s most recognized professional athlete.
- Successfully defended a pharmaceutical equipment manufacturer in a multi-million dollar commercial fire lawsuit.
- Successfully defeated class action suit filed against a national residential homebuilder for defective windows in 540 homes; Summary judgment affirmed on appeal.
- Successfully secured insurance coverage for multi-million dollar construction defect claim; summary judgment affirmed on appeal.
- Successfully defended a local commuter railroad in pedestrian train accident pending in Cook County, Illinois.
- Successfully appealed a multi-million dollar verdict for local commuter railroad; overturned on appeal and judgment entered in favor of commuter railroad; appellate court decision affirmed by the Illinois Supreme Court.
- Defended a product manufacturer in product liability suit involving a degloving injury to a UPS worker.
- Currently defending multiple consumer product manufacturers in mass tort benzene litigation.
Memberships & Affiliations
- Defense Research Institute
- National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel
- Named to Crain's Chicago Business Notable Gen X Leaders In Law, 2019
Chicago, February 19, 2020
DRI's The Voice Highlights $1.5 Million Win in Construction Breach of Contract Case
The Voice, weekly publication of the Defense Research Institute, highlighted a recent Swanson, Martin & Bell, LLP matter in its "And The Defense Wins" section.
Chicago, December 19, 2019
Swanson, Martin & Bell, LLP Attorneys Win $1.5 Million in Construction Breach of Contract Case
Attorneys won a $1.5 million award and defeated a $3.9 million counterclaim following a week of oral hearings tried before the AAA Construction Industry Tribunal.
Chicago, May 31, 2019
Crain's Chicago Business Names Five Attorneys to Notable Gen X Leaders in Law list
John P. Arranz, Patricia S. Kocour, A. Jay Koehler, Aiju C. Thevatheril and Catherine Basque Weiler were among 121 lawyers in Chicago listed.
Chicago, January 16, 2019
Swanson, Martin & Bell, LLP Attorneys Named Leading Lawyers, Emerging Lawyers for 2019
Those designated Leading Lawyers were recommend by their peers to be among the top lawyers in Illinois.
Chicago, March 20, 2017
Law Bulletin Article Highlights Insurance Coverage Case
The article, "Insurer must defend for vicarious liability even though not alleged," was about the 1st District Appellate Court's decision "that an additional insured whose coverage encompassed only vicarious liability could be entitled to a defense by the additional insurer even though the underlying complaint alleged neither vicarious liability nor negligence by the named insured."