BiographyJohn Duffy’s practice focuses on the defense of professionals, including attorneys, directors, officers, physicians and hospitals. In his years of practice, he has successfully represented law firms in claims alleging professional negligence, defended corporations in consumer class actions, and handled complex product liability claims involving catastrophic injuries.
John has successfully tried to verdict automotive product liability, legal malpractice, and commercial matters. He has handled national class actions and briefed or argued appeals before the Seventh and Fourth Circuit Courts of Appeals, and the supreme and appellate courts of Illinois.
Memberships & Affiliations
- Chicago Bar Association
- Chair, Legal Malpractice Committee, 2008
- Illinois State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Selection for inclusion in Illinois Super Lawyers, 2009-2018
- Named one of “40 Illinois Attorneys Under 40 to Watch by Law Bulletin Publishing Company, 2005
- Named to Leading Lawyers in Medical Malpractice Defense Law, Personal Injury Defense Law, Product Liability Defense Law and Professional Malpractice Defense Law, 2012-present
Chicago, February 27, 2020
Law360 Profiles New Lateral Partner John Duffy
Duffy shared with Law360 that he "is excited for the bigger footprint that his new firm would provide..." and "emphasized Swanson Martin's 'national reputation of trying cases, including difficult ones involving product manufacturers or professionals.'"
Chicago, February 20, 2020
Legal Malpractice and Product Liability Partner Joins Swanson, Martin & Bell, LLP
Duffy's practice focuses on the defense of attorneys and law firms accused of malpractice or accused of ethical violations.
Chicago, Lisle, Libertyville, Madison County, February 3, 2020
Swanson, Martin & Bell, LLP Attorneys Named Leading Lawyers, Emerging Lawyers for 2020
Those designated Leading Lawyers were recommended by their peers to be among the top lawyers in Illinois.