Brett Henne started his career in 1989 with the Grayslake Fire Protection District, working his way up to the position of Fire Marshal, Certified Fire Investigator through the International Association of Arson Investigators, and as a licensed paramedic. From there he served as an Assistant State’s Attorney for the Lake County State’s Attorneys Office. His experience includes trials of civil and criminal matters before juries, judges and arbitrators, both as a private attorney and as an Assistant State’s Attorney. He has tried over 60 cases to verdict, from property related crimes to murder to medical malpractice. His immense experience in the medical field, fire and explosion investigation and construction field coupled with his vast trial experience allows Brett to efficiently and zealously represent his clients’ interests throughout all phases of litigation. At Swanson, Martin & Bell, LLP, Brett serves as vice chair of the Fire and Explosion Practice Group.
Memberships & Affiliations
- Adjunct Instructor, Fire Administration and the Law, College of Lake County, Lake County, Illinois, 2001-present
- Teen Court Judge, Lake County, Illinois, 2009-present
- Lake County Bar Association
- Illinois Bar Association
- Wisconsin Bar Association
- Illinois Fire Chiefs Association
- International Association of Arson Investigators
- International Association of Arson Investigators–Illinois Chapter
- International Association of Arson Investigators – Wisconsin Chapter
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- Society of Trial Lawyers
- Speaker, “Why Can’t I Testify, “ IAAI Indiana Chapter, Indianapolis, Indiana, August 2018
- Speaker, “Expert Foundation – Arson,” Lake County Bar Association, Lake County Illinois, May 2018
- Speaker, “Why Can’t I Testify,” IAAI Ohio Chapter, Ohio’s Division of State Fire Marshal, Reynoldsburg, Ohio, March 2018
- Speaker, “Fire Investigation in Today’s Environment,” Will, Cook, Grundy County Fire Investigation Task Force, Tinley Park, Illinois, March 2017
- Speaker, “Fire Investigation from a Legal Perspective,” Illinois Fire Service Institute, May 2016
- Speaker, “Fire Investigation in Today’s Environment,” IAAI Illinois Chapter, Rockford, Illinois, October 2015
- Presenter, "The Independent Private Investigation and Complex Litigation," Fire Investigators Strike Force, Hoffman Estates, Illinois, May 2015
- “Arson for Prosecutors,” National Advocacy Center for the National District Attorneys Association, Columbia, South Carolina, October 2010
Chicago, January 31, 2020
Monaco Inducted Into The Society of Trial Lawyers
Monaco focuses his practice on Product Liability, Class Action Defense, and Commercial Litigation and Business Disputes.
Chicago, June 19, 2018
Swanson, Martin & Bell, LLP Obtains Five Defense Verdicts in 25 Days
In a span of 25 days from late April to late May 2018, Swanson, Martin & Bell, LLP attorneys obtained five defense verdicts at trial on behalf of clients in five Medical Negligence and Healthcare cases in the Circuit Court of Cook County, Illinois.
Chicago, Libertyville, March 2, 2017
Henne, Firm Attorneys Speak at Fire Investigation Task Force Presentation
Over 100 people listened to the four attorneys present on Fire Investigations in Today's Environment.
Chicago, January 12, 2016
Swanson, Martin & Bell, LLP Names New Partners
Clyder and Haddox practice in Swanson, Martin & Bell, LLP’s Chicago office, while Henne practices in the firm’s Libertyville office.
Chicago, Libertyville, May 18, 2015
Henne, Firm Attorneys Speak at Fire Investigators Strike Force Presentation
Five Swanson, Martin & Bell, LLP attorneys spoke on "The Independent Private Investigation and Complex Litigation,"
Libertyville, February 7, 2014
Libertyville Office Volunteers with Feed My Starving Children
Participants packed 21 boxes of food that was then shipped to malnourished children in the Philippines.
Chicago, Libertyville, January 27, 2011
Swanson, Martin & Bell, LLP Welcomes Two Associates
Swanson, Martin & Bell, LLP has recently added two associates to the firm’s Chicago and Libertyville, Ill. offices.