Steven is an associate at Swanson, Martin & Bell, LLP’s Chicago office. He represents corporate clients of varying sizes in a broad range of complex commercial litigation and intellectual property matters, including breach of contract and fraud claims, unfair competition, false advertising and defamation claims, and copyright, trademark, and trade secret disputes. Steven has also litigated class action and tort cases stemming from catastrophic loss.
Steven’s representative experiences include
- Obtaining summary judgment in a false advertising case based on a competitor’s false and misleading statements about his client’s product.
- Second chairing a breach of contract trial and obtaining a not guilty verdict on behalf of a foreign medical device manufacturer.
- Securing a royalty-based settlement at mediation for a start-up client whose trade secrets and confidential information were misappropriated by a larger competitor.
- Defending a closely-held business in a RICO class action based on an alleged global conspiracy to defraud United States food importing authorities.
- Attaining numerous dismissals of personal injury complaints filed against a municipal corporation.
Steven also provides transactional and intellectual property counseling to small businesses and local musicians and entertainers, including on copyright and trademark registration, protection and licensing. Prior to joining Swanson, Martin & Bell, LLP, Steven worked for the criminal division of the United States Department of Justice (USDOJ) in Washington D.C. and served as a judicial extern to the Honorable Jeffrey Cole in the United States District for the Northern District of Illinois. Steven received his J.D. from Georgetown University Law Center and his B.A. from the University of Wisconsin – Madison.
Memberships & Affiliations
- Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel
- Hellenic Bar Association of Illinois
- Chicago Bar Association
- Co-Chair, Tort Litigation Committee, Young Lawyers Section (2018-2019)
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Selected for inclusion in Illinois Super Lawyers - Rising Stars Edition in 2017-2018
- Co-Author, "Ten Things Associates Should Know about Preparing for Trial," The Decalogue Tablets, Spring 2018
- "Recent Trends in False Advertising Law," DRI Annual Meeting, October 2017
Chicago, November 2, 2018
Reveille, Ferrill Address Anatomy of a Medical Malpractice Trial
Fellow panelists include two Circuit Court of Cook County judges and three plaintiffs attorneys.
Chicago, March 20, 2018
Vanderporten Co-Authors Trial Tips Article in Decalogue Society of Lawyers Publication
Vanderporten and co-author Martin D. Gould wrote for the Young Lawyers' Corner on "Ten Things Associates Should Know about Preparing for Trial."
Chicago, Libertyville, Madison County, January 26, 2018
Illinois Super Lawyers Recognizes 35 Swanson, Martin & Bell, LLP Attorneys
Swanson, Martin & Bell, LLP is proud to have 20 Super Lawyers and 14 Rising Stars among its attorneys.
Chicago, October 19, 2017
SMB Attorneys Win Partial Summary Judgment in TCPA Class Action Lawsuit
The decision is one of the only in the country in which a court enforced the retroactive FCC waiver as a matter of law to dispose of a plaintiff’s TCPA claims based on improper opt-out notices.
Chicago, October 17, 2017
Vanderporten Speaks at DRI Annual Meeting on False Advertising Law
Vanderporten focused on “Recent Trends in False Advertising Law.”
Chicago, January 16, 2017
Illinois Super Lawyers Recognizes 38 Swanson, Martin & Bell, LLP Attorneys
Swanson, Martin & Bell, LLP announces that 38 of its attorneys have been selected for inclusion in the 2017 Illinois Super Lawyers and Rising Stars lists.
Chicago, June 3, 2016
Sheean Obtains Favorable Settlement in False Advertising Case
The victory represents the culmination of a three-year litigation battle that included three separate reported decisions.
Chicago, November 18, 2013
Swanson, Martin & Bell, LLP Welcomes Three Associates
The firm welcomes three associates, including two who were recently sworn in to the Illinois Bar.