Since 1982, Charlie has concentrated his practice in the areas of commercial, insolvency and bankruptcy law, focusing primarily on representing debtors, creditors’ committees, secured lenders, landlords, lessors and taxing bodies in Chapter 11 cases under the United States Bankruptcy Code and in out-of-court debt restructuring arrangements. His insolvency and commercial litigation practice has included fraudulent transfer and preferential transfer actions, state court foreclosure proceedings, Ponzi scheme shams and mechanics lien issues.
Charlie also counsels clients on a variety of transactional issues, including leveraged buyouts, the disposition of assets by financially troubled companies, partnership disputes, and corporate mergers and acquisitions.
Memberships & Affiliations
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- DuPage County Bar Association, Bankruptcy Law and Practice Committee Business Law and Practice Committee
- Law Clerk ot the Honorable John J. Stamos, Justice of the Appellate Court of Illinois, First District, 1975-1977
- Co-Author, The Buyer’s Guide of Master-Planned Communities, Southeast Region, AuthorHouse, 2006
- Co-Author, Foreclosure and Repossession in Illinois, Lorman Business Center, 1990
- Co-Author, The Ins and Outs of Bankruptcy Practice for Non-Bankruptcy Practitioners, Lorman Business Center, 1990
- Co-Author, Guidelines for Lenders to Financially Troubled Companies, 1987
- “Protection of Creditors’ Rights Under the United States Bankruptcy Code,” Carol Stream Chamber of Commerce, Carol Stream, Illinois, 1998
- “Avoidance and Recovery of Fraudulent Transfers Under the United States Bankruptcy Code and Illinois Law,” Chicago Bar Association, Chicago, Illinois, 1992
- “The Confirmation Process for a Plan of Reorganization Under Chapter 11 of the United States Bankruptcy Code,” Lorman Business Center Seminar, Chicago, Illinois, 1990
- “Bankruptcy Considerations Relating to Foreclosure and Repossession in Illinois,” Lorman Business Center Seminar, Chicago, Illinois, 1990
- “Professional Negligence: Protection of a Partner’s Property,” public accounting firm, Chicago, Illinois, 1989
- “The Ins and Outs of Floor Plan Financing,” Leisure and Marine Credit Association National Conference, Chicago, Illinois, 1988
- “Guidelines for Lenders to Financially Troubled Companies,” various financial institutions, Chicago, Illinois, 1987-1989
Lisle, February 3, 2009
Swanson, Martin & Bell, LLP Announces Arrival of Charles S. Stahl, Jr. and Formation of Creditors’ Rights and Bankruptcy Practice Group
Charles S. Stahl, Jr. has joined Swanson, Martin & Bell, LLP as a partner to chair its Creditors’ Rights and Bankruptcy Practice Group.