Christy J. Benton is a partner at Swanson, Martin & Bell, LLP. She has been defending tort claims in a variety of areas for over 22 years, including asbestos, latex and other toxic tort litigation, personal injury, product liability, medical and dental malpractice, medical device, defense of municipalities, and civil rights litigation. Over the years, Christy has served as local counsel and national coordinating counsel for a variety of clients and has managed litigation in over 40 states.
Christy has previously worked as Associate General Counsel of Litigation at a local manufacturing company, in asbestos/legal claims at a major insurance company and was in private practice in Chicago for 10 years prior to her in-house work. She is a frequent speaker at meetings and conferences on a variety of topics.
Memberships & Affiliations
- Chicago Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- State Bar of Michigan
- Chairman’s CARE Award from major insurance company, 2009
- Given to employees who consistently exceed expectations, pursue excellence and whose achievements contribute directly to the company's growth and profitability
- “Women in Business: Women Leaders and Branding,” Perrin Conferences, Asbestos Litigation Conference: A National Overview and Outlook, San Francisco, California, September 2014
- Meeting Moderator/Speaker on “Cost-Savings,” Local Counsel Meeting, New Orleans, Louisiana, November 2013
- “Asbestos Update: Emerging Trends,” National Forum for Environment & Toxic Tort Issues, Chicago, Illinois, September 27, 2012
- “Corporate Roundtable: Insight from Top Plaintiff & Defense Executives on Today’s Asbestos Litigation Environment,” Perrin Conferences, Asbestos Litigation Conference: A National Overview and Outlook, San Francisco, California, September 2012
- “Attorney Client Privilege in the Corporate Setting,” HB Litigation Conferences, Lexis CLE Webinar, November 17, 2011
- “Women in Business: Connecting with Clients,” Perrin Conferences, Asbestos Litigation Conference: A National Overview and Outlook, San Francisco, California, September 2011
- Meeting Moderator/Speaker, Local Counsel Meeting, San Francisco, California, September 2011
- “An In-House Perspective on Managing & Defending Asbestos-Related Claims,” Perrin Conferences, Cutting Edge Issues in Asbestos Litigation, Beverly Hills, California, March 3, 2011
- Meeting Moderator, Local Counsel Meeting, Miami, Florida, November 2009.
- “Asbestos – Document Production, Corporate Representatives and Settlement Procedures,” Coronado, California, November 2004
- “Latex – Procedural Protocol,” Local Counsel Meeting, San Diego, California, January 2000
- Co-Author, “Making a Marriage of Convenience Work: Keys to a Productive Relationship Between National and Local Counsel in Mass Tort Litigation,” DRI For the Defense, May 2003
- Co-Author, “The Consumer Expectation Test – Has It Outlived Its Usefulness?” DRI For the Defense, September 2001
Chicago, September 13, 2018
Benton, Longfield Participate in Benzene Mock Trial
Benton and Longfield, along with attorneys from other law firms, served as plaintiff and defense attorneys, to provide in-house training on benzene for their audience.
Chicago, Madison County, July 30, 2015
Associate General Counsel, Lateral Associates Join Swanson, Martin & Bell, LLP
Swanson, Martin & Bell, LLP announces the arrival of a new partner and three lateral associates, including one to its Madison County, Ill. office.