Aiju Thevatheril focuses his practice in the defense of medical negligence claims. Aiju is involved in all aspects of the defense of medical malpractice cases, from discovery through trial and appeal. He has jury trial experience in complex cases involving various medical specialties including family medicine, pediatrics, internal medicine, obstetrics and gynecology, general surgery, orthopedic surgery, neurosurgery, radiology, pathology, gastroenterology, hematology, psychiatry, anesthesiology, neonatology, emergency medicine, infectious disease and physical medicine and rehabilitation. Aiju represents various healthcare practitioners, such as doctors (both allopathic and osteopathic), surgeons, nurses, dentists and physician assistants. He has represented both the individual healthcare provider and the healthcare institution. Aiju currently represents numerous hospitals and medical centers.
Aiju has been an invited guest speaker teaching residents at LaGrange Memorial Hospital and Rush-Copley Medical Center. He has also lectured to medical staff at Resurrection Healthcare. In February 2008, Chicago Lawyer magazine featured him on their cover as a “Top Ten Trial Lawyers on the Rise.”
Memberships & Affiliations
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Illinois Association of Health Care Attorneys
- “Medical Malpractice Litigation,” Saint Francis Hospital of Evanston, Obstetrics & Gynecology, Internal Medicine, General Surgery and Radiology Residency, January 2010
- “Medical Malpractice Litigation,” Saint Mary and Elizabeth Medical Center, Family Medicine Residency, January 2010
- “Medical Malpractice Litigation,” Westlake Medical Center, Internal Medicine Residency, November 2009
- “Medical Malpractice Litigation,” Resurrection Medical Center, Resident and Attending Physicians, November 2009
- “Medical Malpractice Litigation,” St. Joseph Medical Center, Resident and Attending Physicians, September 2009
- “Medical Malpractice Litigation,” West Suburban Medical Center, Resident and Attending Physicians, August 2009
- “Issues in Medical Negligence,” LaGrange Hospital Family Medicine Residency Program, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009
- “Deposition Preparation and Technique,” Our Lady of the Resurrection Medical Center, Attending Physicians, 2005
- "Medical Malpractice-A Defense Lawyer's Perspective," Rush-Copley Hospital Family Medicine Grand Rounds, 2003
Chicago, January 17, 2017
Thevatheril Speaks at National Forum on Neurotrauma, Brain & Spine Medical Legal Issues
Thevatheril will discuss "Relationship Between Neurosurgeons and Neurologists: Reviewing Radiology Reports and Failing to Properly Diagnose."
Chicago, October 27, 2016
SMB Recognized for “Outstanding Defense Verdict in a Medical Malpractice Case”
Aiju C. Thevatheril, Elizabeth A. Bruer and Jessica A. Levitt received a Trial Lawyer Excellence Award at this month’s Jury Verdict Reporter Awards.
Chicago, August 15, 2016
Thevatheril, Anderson Earn Dismissal in Medical Negligence Case
Their healthcare system client was voluntary dismissed prior to trial.
Chicago, April 18, 2016
Swanson, Martin & Bell, LLP Receives Not Guilty Verdict in Medical Malpractice Defense Case
The plaintiff’s attorney asked the jury for $77 - $85 million before the not guilty verdict.
Chicago, January 5, 2016
Thevatheril Moderates Judges' Panel at ACI Medical Malpractice Catastrophic Injury Seminar
Seven state and federal judges will share insights on how they view evidence and arguments specifically in the medical malpractice context.
Chicago, June 1, 2015
Thevatheril Speaks at American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine Meeting
Thevatheril's presentation is on Liability and Loss Prevention. The session will discuss risk management, claims and litigation overview on medical and dental malpractice.
Chicago, November 25, 2014
'12 Day Defensive Hot Streak' Highlighted in Law Bulletin Article
The article highlighted four defense verdicts Swanson, Martin & Bell, LLP attorneys received on behalf of clients.
Chicago, November 19, 2014
Swanson, Martin & Bell, LLP Obtains Four Not Guilty Verdicts in 11 Days
In a span of 11 days, Swanson, Martin & Bell, LLP attorneys obtained four not guilty verdicts at trial on behalf of clients.
Chicago, October 27, 2014
Swanson, Martin & Bell, LLP Obtains Not Guilty Verdict for Client Centegra Hospital - McHenry
The plaintiff asked for more than $7,000,000.
Chicago, January 14, 2013
Swanson, Martin & Bell, LLP Names New Partners, Welcomes New Associate
Aiju C. Thevatheril was elected to equity partnership ranks, while Leanne W. Moore was named a non-equity partner.
Chicago, Lisle, Libertyville, January 19, 2011
Thirty Swanson, Martin & Bell Attorneys Selected for 2011 Illinois Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
Swanson, Martin & Bell, LLP is pleased to announce that 21 of its attorneys have been selected for inclusion in the 2011 Illinois Super Lawyers list.